In 1784, in his book "Variétés Bordelaises" , Father Baurein was the first
author to mention the ruins of the town of Brion, whose Roman origin seemed probable to him.
In 1853, after visiting the place, Léo Drouyn gave a very detailed description of the site.
Very impressed by the importance and variety of the Roman remains, he came to identify the
town as Noviomagus quoted by Ptolemy in the second century
In 1890, Camille Jullian, the famous historian of Gaul, confirmed the identification in
his work "Inscriptions romaines de Bordeaux" and specified these ruins were
the most important in the Medoc.
It was not until a more recent period that this archaeological research started again
in a significant way :
First in 1966, in response to a request by Charles Galy-Aché and Jean Chevrier, Marc Gauthier
and Pierre Anus identified of the remains of a Gallo-Roman theatre belonging to the
Early Roman Empire period.
Next, in 1976, René Cathérineau's borings provided evidence of a pre-Roman dwelling.
In the end and above all, from 1985 to 1990, Pierre Garmy, director of the Historical
Antiquities, assisted by Professors Louis Maurin and André Coffyn, students from the
University of Bordeaux III and the local Archaeological Society presided by Claude Castagné,
succeeded in setting up a training dig.
a fortified medieval house that was built within the ancient theatre,
dwellings and public building,
a temple of Celtic tradition, or Fanum.
At the same time, the "Conseil Général de la Gironde" gave orders for
an extensive resistivity survey to be undertaken;
moreover, an effort was made to make the reception of visitors easier by means of
descriptive notice boards and conducted visits in summer time.
For the moment, although many other remains are to be found, digging has stopped to wait
for measures of protection or restoration in order to prevent the open structures from being