Very probably, the theatre was built in the second half of the first century A.D. ;but because of a lack of digging, the date of this building cannot be confirmed.

It is now the sole Gallo-Roman theatre known in the Aquitaine, south of the Garonne.

Its plan based on the visible masonry brings out the main characteristics :

Diameter : 57 m

Capacity : 2500 to 3000 seats

7 peripheral entrances

Cavea (A) or tiers in semi-circles stretched out in four half-rings with radial walls between the two outer rings, the second ring from the top being supported by a vault.
Orchestra (B) rather wide (diameter : 23 m)
Podium (C) and long, big stage wall (D) ; behind it, something which may be an important stage building.

The plan also shows, inside the theatre, the remains of a fortified house (E and F (tower)) corresponding to a short medieval occupation.
A certain Arnaud de Bourg was condemned and ordered to be under house arrest on account of violent deeds, in 1340.

N.B. No significant overall view can be given since the theatre has not been excavated.

A stairway to go out or come in, at the periphery of the theatre,in a state of rather good preservation.

Outer wall
The drawing shows the semi-circular outline of the theatre. The stonework is of excellent quality; the pointing between the small stones is accentuated by lines engraved with a metal tool.

Vault under tiers
The vault has partly collapsed. Above the vault, the drawing shows a bench corresponding to a tier

The fortified medieval house : The Tower
Constructed in the XIV century, using stones robbed from the theatre. The stonework is clearly less carefully executed than that of the Gallo-Roman building.